Effective Date: April 1, 2018
Responsibility: Vice-President, People and Culture
Applicant Tracking System (ATS): Software application that enables online recruitment such as the electronic handling of job postings and applications.
Bona Fide Occupational Requirement: Specific requirement(s) that every individual performing a specific job must meet because they are essential to the effective and safe performance of the job. The requirement must be connected to the function(s) of the position, and must be identified in good faith on the grounds that the requirement is reasonably necessary to fulfill the function.
Position Type: Position is identified as a permanent position (i.e., an ongoing or indefinite role), or a fixed term position that is either temporary (typically to replace an absent employee) or contract (generally due to an additional project or work) for a specific period (i.e., a start date and an end date).
Fixed Term Employment: Employment with a start date and expiry date (e.g., contract employment, temporary employment equal to or greater than 13 weeks or short-term temporary employment of less than 13 weeks).
RULES AND PROCEDURES
Note: Governing policies and procedures for unionized employees found in the applicable collective agreements apply if they differ from this policy and its subsidiary instruments.
- Prior to posting a position, the hiring manager wishing to fill a position must review and approve the position description and requirements (including the possibility of reassignment, transfer, reintegration and recall) in conjunction with Human Resources.
- The hiring manager and the recruiter must consider candidates in the succession talent pool, if applicable, prior to the commencement of any recruitment activity.
- The hiring manager and the recruiter must confirm the following for the job posting:
- Position type – permanent or fixed term
- Function and requirements (including language requirements)
- Work schedule – full-time/part-time
Note: Certain positions have pre-determined requirements for language of work purposes. If a position is bilingual, it is expected that the selected candidate will be bilingual at time of hire. (See Appendix A – Position Language Requirements and Appendices B and C in the Policy on Official Languages.)
Posting of Position
- The hiring manager and recruiter must identify all appropriate posting avenues (electronic and print media), both internal and external.
- All positions (with the exception of short-term temporary positions) must be posted on the internal job posting site for a minimum of five business days. The hiring manager may also request that the position be posted externally.
Note: While the Corporation appreciates the posting of positions is a best practice to provide opportunity and advancement, in addition to promoting transparency and fairness, there are times where posting a specific position may be impractical, as determined by the component and the Executive Director, Human Resources.
- All positions must be posted simultaneously in both official languages and must include:
- Minimum position requirements, including bona fide occupational requirements, if any.
- Language requirements and proficiency. (See Appendix A – Position Language Requirements (below) and Appendices B and C in the Policy on Official Languages.)
- Relocation assistance for those eligible. (See Rules and Procedures on Relocation Assistance.)
- The following statement, to attract qualified diverse and designated group members and to ensure appropriate representation in the CBC/Radio-Canada workforce:
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster.
- The hiring manager is responsible for all costs associated with external postings.
All questions pertaining to the interpretation of this Rules and Procedures should be referred to the local Human Resources office.
- Appendix A – Official Language Requirements for Positions
- Appendix B – Policy on Official Languages