Effective Date: January 1, 2003
The Corporation grants paid time off for designated holidays.
All CBC/Radio-Canada employees. The governing policies and procedures for unionized employees are found in the applicable collective agreements.
The CBC/Radio-Canada recognizes the statutory holidays proclaimed by Government or, subject to operational requirements, will grant time off with pay for such holidays. Employees required to work, or with regular days off scheduled on a holiday, will be compensated with time off at another mutually convenient time and/or overtime pay.
Management is responsible for the application of this policy.
- Canada Labour Code
- Human Resources Policy 2.2.6 - Leave
Replaces previous Human Resources Policy: Holidays no. 7.5
- Statutory Holidays are:
- New Year Day *
- Good Friday
- Easter Monday
- Victoria Day
- Canada Day *
- Labour Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Remembrance Day *
- Christmas Day *
- Boxing Day *
* The date officially established for the holiday will be the date upon which the holiday will be observed. If Saturday and/or Sunday are regularly scheduled days off employees will receive another day off in lieu of the holiday.
- Holidays observed during an employee's scheduled annual leave will be treated as a holiday not annual leave.
- Local Holidays (proclaimed by local Government) are:
- In Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, Saskatchewan and the Northwest Territories : the first Monday in August;
- In Quebec - Quebec National Day
- In the Maritimes, the Yukon and Newfoundland, provincial/territorial holidays.
- The Corporation may declare statutory holidays when it is deemed to be in its interest and that of the employees. Such declared holidays will be communicated to staff where applicable.
- Employees are eligible for holiday entitlement after one month of employment provided they have worked 15 of the 30 days immediately preceding the holidays. Part-time employees are entitled to 1/20th of the wages they earned in the preceding 30 calendar days.
- Upon Supervisory approval, six weeks prior to the date, an employee may work Remembrance Day and/or Easter Monday in exchange for time off with pay to observe a religious holiday. Requests for exchange must be made in writing.
- The Supervisor must ensure that details are entered in the scheduling information system.