Effective Date: October 1, 2016
Responsibility: Vice-President, People and Culture
Specialized training or educational program: A training or educational program provided by a recognized training or educational institution, such as a university, college or other post-secondary institution or an educational institution that offers training directly related to the development of skills and knowledge required by an employee to drive the collective achievement of business performance outcomes and organizational goals. This includes providers of specialized professional and skills training required by an employee (e.g., professional certification or designation) to pursue a relevant professional development path in line with organizational priorities.
Voluntary Departure: For the purposes of this Policy, separation from the Corporation due to retirement, resignation, negotiated departure*, termination without cause (non-union)*, VRIP (Voluntary Retirement Incentive).
* If the departure is initiated by the employee or if the departure is the result of a mutual arrangement between the parties, the departure is considered “voluntary” in nature.
RULES AND PROCEDURES
- An employee must discuss the funding of costs and payment related to specialized training or educational programs to be borne by CBC/Radio-Canada with his/her manager.
- The manager, in collaboration with the Learning and Development (L&D) department, must decide if the employee, if eligible, will be granted full or partial funding through the departmental budget and/or the L&D Fund. If the costs are funded by the L&D Fund, approval of the L&D Director is required.
The decision must be based on:
- The budget available to the manager and/or the L&D Fund;
- The number of requests received by the Corporation in the fiscal year; and
- The Corporation’s strategic priorities.
The approval of the funding and payment request does not guarantee the approval of subsequent funding and payment requests as each request will be reviewed and considered independently.
Note: Talent Management, People and Culture must approve any monetary investment by CBC/Radio-Canada of $15,000 or more in a single specialized training or educational program for one individual.
- To be eligible for full or partial funding and payment, the employee must:
- Be a full-time permanent employee;
- Demonstrate that the funding of costs for the specialized training or educational program is directly related to his/her current role or career path (a specialized training or educational program of $15,000 or more must also directly align with the Corporation’s strategic plan);
- Agree to successfully complete the specialized training or educational program and remain an active employee of the Corporation for a minimum of two years following the completion date (otherwise repayment obligations will apply);
- Provide proof of the fees paid to a recognized training or educational institution and other related costs that have been approved by the Corporation; and
- Provide proof of the successful completion (including course completion date) of the specialized training or educational program.
- Once funding is approved, and prior to the commencement of any training or educational program, the employee, the manager and the appropriate representative from the People and Culture component must execute the applicable agreement. For funding under $15,000, the employee is responsible for the initial payment related to the requested specialized training or educational program.
Where the monetary investment for the specialized training or educational program for one individual is $15,000 or more, the Corporation pays the cost on behalf of the employee.
- An employee is entitled to request reimbursement following proof of payment and the successful completion of the training or course, as per the terms and conditions outlined in the Agreement for the Funding of Specialized Training or Educational Programs under $15,000. Two levels of management approval within the same hierarchy as well as approval from Learning & Development are required for reimbursement requests (e.g., the manager and the manager’s manager). An employee is entitled to request reimbursement at different intervals following specific program milestones for specialized training or educational programs that last longer than one year.
- An employee is required to repay the Corporation the total amount of training or program costs or reimbursements received if he/she voluntarily leaves the Corporation before successfully completing the specialized training or educational program, or prior to fulfilling the required minimum of two years following its completion.
- Agreement for the Funding of Specialized Training or Educational Programs under $15,000 – Part I and Part II
- Agreement for the Funding of Specialized Training or Educational Programs of $15,000 or more
All questions pertaining to the application of these Rules and Procedures should be referred to the local Human Resources Office