Environmental Performance Report 2013-2014
In addition to our mandate of reaching out to Canadians with programming on all platforms, CBC/Radio-Canada strives to build a culture of environmental awareness and sustainability.
This report provides an overview of the new systems, programs and milestones that play a role in achieving this goal, which in turn helps ensure a better future for all Canadians.
Highlights from 2O13-2O14
- diverted 218.97 metric tonnes of e-waste from landfill, amounting to over 850 metric tonnes diverted over the last 5 years
- decreased our air emissions by 9.54 per cent compared to last year, although energy consumption by square footage slightly increased by 2.17 per cent due to colder weather conditions
- decreased water consumption by 12 per cent in our owned buildings
- developed and implemented a new electronic Environmental Management System (EMS)
- diverted 15,275 kg of organic material and 680 kg of soft plastics from landfill in Vancouver
- installed new LEDs in our Regina studio, replacing tungsten bulbs, resulting in a 93 per cent reduction in costs
- reduced energy costs by 68 per cent at our Halifax worksite through a similar lighting program